Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Midnight in Paris


Remember when I said that there were movies that I watched this summer whose traces I wish I could forever banish from my memory? Well, Midnight in Paris is most definitely NOT one of them.
Here are some quotes from the movie that stood out to me. :)

Image from: http://teaser-trailer.com/movie/midnight-in-paris/

Maybe the present is a little unsatisfying because life is a little unsatisfying

Nostalgia is denial - denial of the painful present… the name for this denial is golden age thinking - the erroneous notion that a different time period is better than the one one’s living in – it’s a flaw in the romantic imagination of those people who find it difficult to cope with the present.
. 
We all fear death and question our place in the universe. The artist’s job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Everybody knows if you are too careful you are so occupied in being careful that you are sure to stumble over something.

Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working.

If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.

No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure. 

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment